Friday 15 March 2013

Judy's Wednesday and Thursday

March 13

Wednesday in New York was a quiet waiting day. Chapel was done by the YWCA and it was lively and energetic as well as inspiring. At the UN briefing there was little new news so we talked about how to carry our message home. I spoke briefly about the use of the press. There was an editorial in the NY Times on Mon and some big British paper today and Le Devoir last week. maybe I need to write a story for the Kawartha this week.
The meeting with the Canadian team was fairly positive in that they feel positive despite the fact that 3rd reading is incomplete.

I had a live chat with Alice Medcof over lunch - we have not crossed paths often this year. The Ecumenical Women held their second dinner tonight and funnily enough it was Indian food - 2 days in a row and no reflux - amazing. Tonight my roommates and I rehearsed our part for Chapel in the morning - I usually am up and out before they get up so tomorrow will be a challenge for us all.

Hi to all who have gone home. We miss you


March 14

Thursday in New york....I am getting a little homesick. I talked to Jackson on the phone last night (and Rob) which was nice. Two more nights, one of which I am alone. The day started as usual with Chapel which we as Anglicans did. The numbers are dwindling as many more people have headed home. There was a new draft of the conclusion document circulated early this morning after they worked until 1 am or so. There were 26 agreed paragraphs then and more by this evening. Will we have a document by tomorrow at 6 pm is still up in the air but we are praying for it.

This morning I had the opportunity to have coffee with about 8 women and Thomas Mulcaire and his team. it was a positive experience and he listened to our comments and made some good observations. Walked back from 50th and 2nd to 44th and 1st so I had some exercise (with more later). I met with the Canadian rep at 1 pm in the lobby of the UN, took my camera to the communications team so they could get my pictures...including those of my family, and had a big nap after a short lunch. North America/Europe Caucus at 6:15; I went to the wrong room first but so did a handful of others, but it was a fruitful meeting. All the Anglicans in the room left at 7:30 because someone booked a dinner for us to spend time together. 12 of us ate at a Turkish restaurant, 4 canadians, 4 americans, 1 Scot, 1 from England, 1 from Australia and 1 from Sri Lanka. Back to our room after 10 pm and my room mates are packing. Tomorrow is the last official day of the Commission with a lot of good byes and hopefully a concluding document.
One more installment to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment