Monday 4 March 2013

Daily Updates from Judy

The entries you will read over the next two weeks will come from a number of people. Our first post was from Alice Medcof (whose birthday it is today incidentally, Happy Birthday Alice) and now I will include a series of paragraphs from Judy Dickson, another member of your delegation. She writes a short paragraph every day to update people back home about how things are going here at the UN. She is very involved in the advocacy work that goes on during these two weeks. I have decided (with her permission) to repost her updates on our blog every day. I hope that this blog will allow you to hear a number of different voices on the work and experience of IAWN Canada here at the UN over the next ten days.

Judy's Day 1:

Well I arrived in New York about 7 pm yesterday after an uneventful day, minus one suitcase. In that case were my shoes,socks,"good clothes" some food,my heating pad etc.Thank the good Lord that I brought 2 suitcases and I have some clothes and all my meds etc. So far the airline has offered me $100 which would not even replace the shoes. Unfortunately all my notes for my presentation tomorrow were also in that case so I am trying to rewrite it tonight.
Got my grounds pass today and a friend allowed me to reprint some of the tickets etc which were also gone.
Had dinner with 2 wonderful people, Joan and Ross Fraser. a wonderful way to start the trip and a great meal and excellent company.


Judy's Day 2:


Day 2 in New York. No suitcase. Today was the ecumenical Women
Orientation Day. I have been on the planning committee since spring and took part in the day. I think it was successful.there were 170 registered. and we got lots of good comments. There was a good presentation by UN WOMEN at noon explaining their work and connection to the rest of the UN. The closing chapel service was amazing. The chaplain wrote a play and the music director wrote much of the music. Nice reception afterwards.
the most amazing thing...a woman I met here in 2008 and with whom I had an immediate connection....is here and we had a wonderful reconnection. My room mates arrived Elizabeth Loweth and her granddaughter.
Tomorrow is a long day.


Judy's Day 3:

Day 3 in New York. Still no suitcase. Oh well.
Today was UN Consultation day. over 700 people in one room on hotel stacking chairs tight together. It opened with a music and spoken "play" by a group of 5 young women who met at last years CSW. It was amazing and a great way to start the day. Followed by a presentation and then a panel dealing with violence towards women. Lunch at a nearby restaurant with 2 new Canadian friends and then , I confess, I split, returned to my hotel for a shower and a nap. At 5:30 I joined about 30 or 40 other Soroptimists at an excellent Italian restaurant for a great dinner. I met another Canadian from Ontario and sat with wonderful ladies from Wales,England and Australia. we swapped funny stories, pictures of our grandchildren and heard about the next 2 weeks here in New York. Wonderful to meet so many neat people and to belong to such a diverse and dedicated group.
Tonight I met 2 more Canadian Anglicans from Ottawa and one of my room mates from last year arrives tonight.


That is all for the first three days, but expect more as the Commission continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment