Friday 8 March 2013

Found: An Oasis in Manhattan



I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that I am lying here unable to sleep in this city which never seems to sleep anyways! I arrived in New York four days ago and so much has happened since then. I am replaying the discussions and experiences of yesterday and anticipating the new ones for today. Our priority theme for this UN Commission on the Status of Women is the elimination and prevention of violence against women and girls. There is collective pain being lifted up, a mobilization of efforts, creative thinking around moving forward and in general, a sense that the time is now!

One thing I would like to tell you about is that I have found a home-away-from-home at the Episcopal Church Centre (TECC) at 815 Second Ave. in Manhattan. In the middle of this fast-moving, over-stimulating, rather architecturally-imposing city (compared to my rural home in Ontario that is!) I have found an oasis. TECC is the headquarters for the Episcopal Church (our Anglican brothers and sisters) in the United States.  

Those who work in the office of TECC have been so warm and welcoming. There is a range of refreshment and sustenance to be found here...coffee/tea, nutritious snacks, a space to connect with other Anglicans from around the world and a quiet chapel with daily eucharist services.  

So I find I am spending a fair amount of time in this space.  I appreciate the events and services that take place there and the debriefing sessions that are held there at the end of the day.  As a newcomer to the UNCSW it would be easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of activity and information. I’ve received a small mountain of paper thus far. So I am pacing myself, taking time to reflect on what I am hearing and focusing on connecting with others.
I am truly thankful I have found a space while I am here that helps me to do all of these things.

Rev. Carolyn Seabrook

Ottawa, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment